Oh you noticed? More zucchini? Get used to it; between now and the end of August I fear there’s going to be a LOT of zucchini in these parts (blame the CSA). There are going to be a lot of zucchini recipes…or maybe just a lot of zucchini bread, we’ll see how it goes. At any rate, this recipe is from my weeknight files. It’s super simple, delicious, quick, and a great, healthy way to use up the encroaching zucchinis.
This recipe is clever in that it uses the same sauce in the cakes as it uses in the slaw, minimizing the work you have to do. Chop some salmon, shred some zucchini, slice some fennel and you’re half-way there. If you’re really lazy (as I am) and lucky enough to have a mandoline, use it. The slaw, which is just shredded zucchini and thinly sliced fennel with a mayo (or yogurt)-lemon-chive dressing is crisp and refreshing next the the moist, warm salmon cakes. Since salmon cooks so quickly, you don’t have to stand over the stove for more than 8 minutes-perfect for summer. Really, this is a full meal that you can easily make after work with very little hassle.
I really don’t have much more to say about this. It’s one of my favorite weeknight meals and every time I make it, I wonder why I waited so long. So much bang for so little work. I love that. And, you know, one more zucchini down. That’s always good.
Salmon Zucchini Cakes with Fennel Zucchini Slaw
Adapted from Gourmet. Serves 1.
Until I started this blog, I never realized how many of my go-to recipes were originally from Gourmet. It makes me sad that it’s gone. This recipe is for one! Yes! One! Finally for us single gals! In the event that you’re cooking for more than one (oh sure, brag about it), it’s very easy to scale up. I often sub half the mayo for fat free Greek yogurt, so that’s how I’ve written it below. Feel free to use all mayo if you want.
1.5 T mayonnaise
1.5 T fat free Greek yogurt
2 t fresh lemon juice, divided
3 T chopped chives
1 t grainy mustard
1/8 t cayenne
1/4 lb skinless salmon fillet, chopped smallish
2 T bread crumbs (or 4 ritz crackers, crushed)
1 medium zucchini, coarsely grated (1 1/2 cups)
1/2 small fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
1 T olive oil
- In a medium bowl, stir together the mayo, 1 t lemon juice, chives, mustard, cayenne, 1/4 t salt, and 1/4 t pepper
- In another medium bowl, mix together the salmon, crackers, half the zucchini and half the mayonnaise dressing (use your hands, its easier, and you’re about to get in there anyways)
- Form salmon into 2, 3″ cakes
- In a nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat, then cook salmon cakes, ~3 min per side, or until browned and cooked through
- While the salmon cooks, add the fennel and the other half of the zucchini to the remainder of the dressing and toss. Season with salt and pepper
- Serve the cakes with the slaw and enjoy