Pop Quiz. What exactly do you do with this:
Make soup! Obviously.
But what if it’s 100 degrees out and you can barely remove yourself from the couch, let alone turn on the stove?
Then chilled, blender soup it is. No heat needed, nothing more than pantry ingredients required.
Healthy, cool, refreshing, filling and surprisingly complex from the white wine vinegar and coriander, this is such a quick easy way to use up your CSA stash…without a lick of heat. Don’t skip the yogurt; it’s the best part.
Chilled Zucchini and Cucumber Soup
Adapted from Gourmet. Makes ~4 cups.
1 lb zucchini
3/4 lb seedless cucumber (I used regular), peeled and chopped
1/3 c chopped sweet onion
1/4 c white-wine vinegar
1/4 c water
1 t chopped fresh hot green chile
1 3/4 t salt
1.5 t ground coriander
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- Julienne the skin from one of the zucchini. Place in a small bowl, sprinkle with salt, and let sit until wilted
- Chop the zucchini (all of it)
- Add the zucchini, cucumber, onion, vinegar, water, chile, 1 t salt and 1 t coriander to a blender and blend until smooth. Taste and season
- In another small bowl, stir together the yogurt, 1/2 t salt and 1/2 t coriander
- Serve the soup garnished with the coriander yogurt and julienned zucchini (drain them first)