I didn’t know that six ingredients makes key lime pie.
I didn’t know that 10 minutes of crushing and melting and whisking was all it requires.
I just didn’t know it was so easy (if you cheat a lil bit).
I didn’t know that you could create summer in a pan without breaking a sweat.
I did know that the whipped cream is always the best part. That, I knew.
Key Lime Pie
Adapted from Gourmet.
As suggested by the 300+ reviewers that loved this pie, I increased the filling 1.5 times. I think they were right and it would have been too thin otherwise. I also, clearly, used jarred lime juice. I was up for the squeezing but couldn’t find key limes. Or so I claim.
1 1/4 c graham cracker crumbs from 9 crackers
2 T sugar
5 T unsalted butter, melted
1.5 (14 oz) cans sweetened condensed milk
6 lg egg yolks
3/4 c plus 3 tablespoons fresh or bottled Key lime juice (if using bottled, preferably Manhattan brand)
1 cup chilled heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks
- Heat oven to 350°F
- In a small bowl, mix cracker crumbs, melted butter and sugar with a fork until combined
- Press into 9″ pie plate and bake for 10 minutes. Cool
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the condensed milk and egg yolks
- Add the lime juice and whisk until combined
- Pour into the cooled crust (mine wasn’t cool but it didn’t seem to matter) and bake 15 minutes, until barely set
- Cool and serve topped with AMPLE whipped cream