There are a few perfect flavor combinations in this world: peanut butter and chocolate, salmon and dill, brandy/grand marnier/lemon juice, and of course, bacon, lettuce and tomato. At the height of summer, those last three ingredients come together to make something so much more amazing than the sum of its parts.
This salad takes the perfection of a BLT sandwich and amps it up a bit with avocado, sweet corn and smoked paprika. Doused in lime-paprika sour cream and sprinkled with queso fresco and you have maybe the best picnic dish ever in existence, since picnics were invented, ever. Hows that for hyperbole?
Really though, I don’t have much to say about this dish…it’s just as simple and delicious as you think it will be. I’m not admitting anything, but it is possible that I doubled the bacon in this recipe. You know, as you do. There’s never too much bacon.
BLT Corn Salad Wraps
Adapted from Joy the Baker
3 ears of corn, shucked
1 c cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
1/2 c chopped green onions
1 avocado, diced
6 slices crisp cooked bacon, diced
juice of 1 lime
1 T olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
butter lettuce or romaine lettuce leaves
Paprika-lime sour cream
1 c. sour cream
pinch of salt
1 T smoked paprika
juice from 1/2 lime
- Char the corn over a gas burner on your stove, turning with tongs until evenly browned. You can just lay the corn right on the flame-don’t be scared
- Let the corn cool, then slice the corn off the cob. The easiest way that I’ve found to do this without getting corn everywhere is to hold the corn on end in the biggest, widest mixing bowl you own, slicing the kernels directly into the bowl
- Toss with the tomatoes, green onions, avocado, bacon, lime juice and olive oil
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, chili powder and smoked paprika….just taste as you go!
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream, salt paprika and lime juice
- Serve on lettuce leaves, sprinkled with queso fresco, and dolloped with sour cream