I hear it’s supposed to snow tomorrow. You probably want to bake this, so that it fills your house with warm smells and reminds you that the Holiday season truly is here.
This cake was my favorite part of my Thanksgiving (trust me, I’m not exaggerating). Now it can be the best part of your Christmas.
From Melissa Clark on the Today Show. Makes 1, 8″ round cake.
I realize this is supposed to be a dessert, but with its tart cranberries, dense, sweet dough, and chewy edges, this is PERFECCCCCCCT for breakfast.
2 (12 oz) bags of cranberries
1 1/3 c sugar
1/2 c water
1/2 c apple cider or orange juice
1 t finely grated orange zest
4 oz whole, raw almonds (skin on, about 7/8 cup)
1 1/4 c sugar
1/2 t fine sea salt
1 stick (4 oz) butter, sliced into 8 pieces
3 large eggs
1 t vanilla extract
1/2 t almond extract
1/3 c all-purpose flour
1/4 t baking powder
3/4 c cranberry sauce (see note)
2 T sliced, blanched almonds
Make cranberry sauce:
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat
- Simmer until berries burst and mixture is syrupy, ~15-20 minutes
- Let cool
Make the cake:
- Heat the oven to 350° F; grease an 8″ cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. Grease the parchment
- In a food processor, combine the almonds, sugar, and salt and pulse until the almonds are finely ground
- Add the butter, eggs and extracts and process until creamy
- Scrape down the sides and pulse in the flour and baking powder
- Scrape 2/3 of the mixture into the prepared pan and then dollop the cranberry sauce on top
- Cover with remaining batter and sprinkle the top with almonds (the cranberries will sink, but you won’t care)
- Bake until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out covered in crumbs, (~50 to 60 minutes). Cool on a wire rack before serving
Note: Did I undersell this? Let me try again…..THIS CAKE IS AMAZING! MAKE IT IMMEDIATELY! EAT IT ALL CHRISTMAS SEASON! You’ll thank me later